Books Visit my blog Interviews Special Features About me About me Home

Banner
Magic Squares Quilt

I’m quite proud to announce that I’ve finished my Magic Squares quilt. It’s made with some really yummy batiks in stone and turquoise and bronzie colors, and I really like how it turned out. Too bad I made it as a gift. Maybe I’ll have to make myself one someday.

Magic Squares

Here is a closer picture of just the bottom half of the quilt before it was finished. Aren’t the fabrics delicious?

Bottom Half

If you would like to BUY the pattern for this quilt, CLICK HERE. (Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.) It’s fun and the sewing is pretty easy.

27 Responses to “Magic Squares Quilt”
  1. Sandy says:

Nice work, I like the optical illusion. Your color choices are great, very sophisticated. Lots of points to match, though, gotta sew those initial squares very accurately!

2. Robin says:

OH, how thriilling!! FOR ME?? And I wasn’t even expecting a thing! You are too kind!! It’s gorgeous. Perfectly, absolutely divine. I don’t deserve it, but I will humbly and gratefully accept such a lovely token of friendship from someone whom I have been so proud to mentor. Excuse me–I can hardly see for the tears.

(Not too thick, is it?)

3. DeAnna says:

Sandy: Thanks. Actually my sister chose and arranged the fabrics (the quilt is for her birthday/Christmas), and I’ve learned a lot about color and coordination from her. Surprisingly, the sewing isn’t very hard at all and there’s not all that much matching to do. And the pattern recommends either one light and one dark fabric for the whole thing or three lights and three darks. And it recommends that you frame the squares, put two right sides together, make two diagonal seams and THEN cut it apart to make two identical half-dark/half-light blocks. I didn’t want any blocks to be the same, so I’d frame a square and then cut it in half and then match it with another one. Had to be careful not to stretch any bias edges, but I think it worked well. There were 25 fabrics involved. :D

Robin: Quiet, you.

4. DeAnna says:

Now, now! No crying. There’s no crying in quilting.

5. Robin says:

Yeah. You haven’t seen me quilt, have you?

6. [...] is NO WAY mine will be as good as DeAnna’s, but–the batiks are on their way. Who knew spending tons of money could be this much [...]

7. Linda Tucker says:

Is this where I can receive the magic square quilt pattern free? I found your page through google and I LOVE the look of this quilt.

Linda

8. DeAnna says:

No, I’m sorry. This is not my pattern. I bought it from my local quilt shop. :)

9. DeAnna says:

Oh, if you click on the link in the post above (where it says “HERE”), it will take you to a place you can buy the pattern. :D

10. Sondra says:

Please email me the Magic Squares quilt pattern free. Thank You

11. DeAnna says:

Hi, Sondra!

Sorry for any confusion, but the Magic Squares quilt pattern does not belong to me, so I can’t send it to you. It is available for purchase from your local quilt shop or on line. :)

12. Marian says:

It IS unfortunate because the link that brings people here suggests that you can get the pattern here free. That’s how I got here also. I LOVE that pattern and have searched several shops for it. I will have to resort to ordering online. I just don’t think that I am mathematically equipped to figure it out for myself…lol

13. DeAnna says:

I’m so sorry, Marian. Could you please let me know which page is showing my site as the place to get this pattern for free? Again, I don’t own the rights to this pattern. I can’t give it away. I only own the one copy I bought for my personal use.

So sorry for the confusion!

14. Linda McDonald says:

Please email the pattern for the Magic Squares Quilt pattern shown here. It is beautiful and yes, the fabrics are delicious!

15. Linda McDonald says:

Sorry, after reading some of the comments realized there was an error in the web page direction.

16. DeAnna says:

Yes, I’m sorry to say I do not own this pattern and cannot send it to anyone. I bought it at my local quilt shop. It is also available online from various sources.

Please alert whoever is directing you here for this pattern that he or she is mistaken. Thanks!

17. diane revak says:

how did you quilt the top

18. DeAnna says:

It was just a fairly simply all-over design. The fabric is so busy, it really didn’t need more and the quilting doesn’t show much anyway. :D

19. Veronica says:

Marian I have worked it out it is quite easy really. It looks to me that there are 3 size squares. You should keep the squares at even measurements in my opinion. I am using an overall measurement of 16 inches per block size. The largest square to be 12 x 12, 2nd to be 8 x 8, third to be 4 x 4. I don’t know what the pattern shows as I havent got one. I did mine in 2 colours and it looks stunning. Hope this works for you. Happy quilting

20. Maian says:

Thanks Veronica! I’ll give that a go…I just LOVE that pattern. As long as they all fit together I don’t think that the size matters to be honest…I’ll come back later and let you know how I make out!
    M

21. Janice McLean says:

Would like a copy of the pattern – I love the effect it gives and have a quilt club challenge coming up which is to be a quilt for a man
    This pattern would be perfect

22. DeAnna says:

Hi, Janice.

If you click on the link under the photo of the quilt (where it says “You can get the pattern for this quilt HERE” — the “HERE” is a link), you will go to the shop that sells this pattern.

Enjoy!

23. Sheila says:

Your quilt looks very nice. I have finished this quilt and now want to free motion quilt it but do not know what pattern to use so that it will look nice. Oh, and did I mention that it needs to be an easy pattern.

Thanks,
    Sheila

24. DeAnna says:

Hi, Sheila!

I’m glad you like the quilt. I made the top for my sister, and she had it quilted. I think she had them do just a simple jigsaw pattern. The fabrics are really the star of the show in hers, so she didn’t want any elaborate quilting. It turned out great.

I hope that helps. :)

25. Sandie says:

I will be getting the pattern at a quilt camp. but I need to know how much material to buy for each color. can you tell me how much material in each color to buy?

26. DeAnna says:

Hi, Sandie!

As I have mentioned, the Magic Squares Quilt Pattern is not mine. It was designed by Helene Knott and belongs to her and/or whoever produces the pattern for sale.

You might want to contact the camp you’re going to and ask them for a list of materials needed. Or you might want to contact one of the many quilt shops that sell this pattern and ask them about the fabric requirements for it. Here’s a shop that carries it to get you started: http://www.storyquilts.com/html/general.html

Good luck and have fun. :)